March 15, 2011

Soup.


Hey everyone!
So I have been trying my very hardest to start eating as healthy as possible. The warm weather is approaching fast and with that comes a particular goal I've set for myself (more on that later). Basically, I've wanted to start feeling better, and this of course involves eating healthy! I'm a huge soup fan so when I saw this recipe yesterday while trolling the internet during my lunch, I decided it would be the perfect thing to make for this week!
DSCN4389

DSCN4394

DSCN4399

DSCN4405

DSCN4402

It was super easy to make and came out delicious. A big bowl of it will leave you feeling super full and satisfied without the guilt! 


Here's the recipe***:
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with liquid
3/4 of a 6 oz can tomato paste
3 cups of water
1 carton of vegetable broth
1 jumbo potato, peeled and cubed
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2-1 teaspoon salt

In a large pot over medium high heat, combine olive oil, celery, onion, and carrots. Saute and stir about 4-5 minutes or until they begin to soften slightly. Add in the canned tomatoes, 2 cups of water, vegetable broth, potato, corn, rice, soy sauce, thyme, pepper, garlic powder and salt. In a small dish mix 1 cup water with tomato paste until it is liquefied. Add it to soup mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 mins, or until vegetables are tender. Serve hot. 

I made some slight changes as I went about cooking. First off, I used some fresh garlic I had on hand instead of garlic powder. I also did not have any thyme on hand so I just did not add any. Also, because the soup looked thick enough already, I didn't add the rice (I'm trying to avoid unnecessary carbs). However, I think I might add some precooked brown rice to a bowl for dinner tonight. I also added some frozen green beans in addition to the frozen corn for added variety. 

Enjoy!

***because I'm a dork, I didn't save the source of the recipe. I cannot for the life of me remember where I found it. Here is a link to a printout version. If anyone recognizes where this is from, let me know so I can give credit!

1 comment:

  1. ::mouth watering:: This vegetable soup looks heavenly! Garlic powder is such a staple in my kitchen, but with a thick soup like this, fresh garlic is best, so I imagine this soup was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete