January 16, 2014

On the Bookshelf.

So one of my all-time favorite activities is reading. I slacked big time on the personal reading in college with how much I had to do for class, but ONE positive of getting into the real world is how your free time skyrockets, and I suddenly am back to devouring books. My coworker has helped fuel my reading passion with our constant book swapping, and then of course there's my friend Rachael's blog. She actually works in book publishing and reads more than anyone I know, so I'm constantly looking to her for recommendations. I also absolutely love Goodreads to keep track of all the books on my list! It definitely is more organized than the running note I had in my phone. Anyway since I love getting ideas on what to read next from friends and blogs, I thought I'd share some of my own!


Just Finished:




First off, go read Reconstructing Amelia. Especially if you were a fan of Gone Girl, you'll love this book. It's a similar type book, not an upbeat read but a quick one as you just want to know the ending! All You Could Ask For was a pretty emotional one, girls beware there might be tears, but again I would recommend. THEN there's You Knew Me When. I didn't have super high expectations for this one, I thought it would be a normal chick flick read...and while it was, there's just something about it that made it stand out a step above the rest. Try it out. 

Currently Reading:




So I, like the rest of America, I really enjoyed Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn (if you haven't heard of it you've been living under a rock). I had heard similarly good things about her other books so I went for it. Well, this one is decidedly darker than Gone Girl. Basically it's taking me a while to get through it simply because I have to be in a certain mindset to read this book, because it is VERY disturbing. Admittedly I'm wimpier than most, but the title is pretty accurate. I'm sure the ending will be a doozey knowing Flynn, so Ill be sure to report back. 

Up Next:


 


As you may notice I have some "lighter" books on the horizon. I'm on a serious "me" kick for 2014 and Financially Fearless (I'm a daily reader of Learnvest.com, financial articles are really interesting to me even though I have zero money for said financial advice) is part of that kick. I've seen The Happiness Project floating around the web for a few years now and it's always been on my list, so I think now's the time to finally read it. And then Sloppy Firsts, well I read it way back when and I'm thinking it will be a fun, light read to get me back into the series. 

And so there you have it! Anyone read any of the books above? Did you love or hate? And BRING ON the book recommendations in the comments! 

xo n.

1 comment:

  1. Totally adding All You Could Ask For and Dark Places to my list. I remember being so scared reading Gone Girl... Sometimes it's fun being scared haha :)

    ReplyDelete