December 2, 2010

Reverb 10

Hey all,

So I've really wanted to make a conscious effort to blog more frequently and consistently. Unfortunately, the holiday threw me off (it doesn't take much to rock my routine obviously). So as an effort to try and step up my blogging game and give myself a daily goal, I've joined the Reverb 10 movement (you'll see a new badge to the right reflecting my reverb10 participation).

The Reverb 10 movement is "an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. The end of the year is an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead. With Reverb 10, we'll do both."

Everyday the website gives a different prompt to answer on your blog. I'm hoping by participating in this challenge for the month of December I'll not only get a better feel for what I want my blog to become, but it will also force me to work on the technical aspects of it, as well as reflect on the past (absolutely crazy) year, and manifest the upcoming year.


So, without further ado...here goes day 1!
December 1 One Word.
Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?
(Author: Gwen Bell)

I've been thinking and thinking how I could describe this past year of my life. Several words immediately come to my mind, and while i've been trying to search for something upbeat and positive, I simply keep coming back to this one word: terrifying. The year started with my last semester of college and me having no idea what the hell I was doing when I graduated. The summer started and continued with that same feeling of terror and the unknown when every job application proved to be a dead end. The terrifying thought that I wouldn't be able to get a job, combined with the fact that I wasn't positive where I wanted to end up, and a personal relationship hanging on these very factors, led it to be a confusing time to say the least.

With the end of summer came my first job offer. Taking it meant I was moving to a new area, knowing no one, and living by myself. All of this was also on top of the sheer terror associated with starting my first job! Hello terror, my name is Nicole. When are you going to leave me alone?

As the year is coming to a close and I start to think ahead to 2011 I think the word I want to capture my future with is: confidence. 2010 was all about the confusion in finding myself and stepping out on my own. 2011 needs to be about me embracing all of these new changes in my life and facing them head on with everything i've got!

What do you think about this reverb10 challenge? What are your words to describe 2010 and 2011?

Here's to the end of a confusing year, and looking ahead to one full of confidence,
-N

4 comments:

  1. Sounds a lot like my first venture into the real world. I moved from Texas to Charlotte, NC for a job and I'll never forget how excited/nervous I was on the drive there.

    It was a terrifying year, but one in which I learned so much. I hope you're all settled now and best of luck in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm a new follower. Found you through reverb. Next year will be my last year of college and I already have that feeling of terror! Hopefully I'll be able to transition into the 'real world' without too much stress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole, I love this new project and can totally feel you on the "terrifying" word, but you are already DEFYING all odds by stepping out on your own and doing all of this stuff. Letting go of past (this means family and even realtionships :-\) is scary but we are better, and stronger women for doing so. So proud of us! <3 Can't wait to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the comments! I appreciate all of them so much.

    @Kim: I'm so glad to have a new follower! That feeling of terror is natural, the transition will be stressful, but just remember everyone our age is going through the same thing!

    @Rachel, Thank you so much for your words. They are so encouraging and made my heart swell.

    ReplyDelete